Politics Women Groups urge Senate to speed up passage of Sexual Offence Bill 2013

• Thread starter Thread starter LequteMan
  • Start date Start date
L

LequteMan

The Global Fund for Women Grantees Network Nigeria (GFWGN), on Tuesday appealed to the Senate to speed up the passage of Sexual Offence Bill 2013 which seeks stiffer penalty for rapists.

Mrs Angela Daniels, the Coordinator of the NGO in South West said the bill would reduce high rate of sexual violence and related offences against children and women in Nigeria.

“Our appeal is that the Senate should give the bill the urgent attention it required because rape cases have become so rampant in the society.

“If this bill is passed, I am very sure that these men will desist from such evil act. I am appealing to them to speed up the process,’’ she said.

Ms Josephine Nzerem, the National Secretary of the NGO, also appealed to the Senate to fast track the process of the law, adding that the girl-child should be taught sexual education by parents to guard them from failing victims of sexual abuse.

According to her, life imprisonment penalty is fair; I will prefer immediate death penalty for such people because the act is wicked before God and man.

Mrs Atinuke Babs-Olorunkemi, the President, Women for Equity and Fairness Organisation of Nigeria (WEFON), however, commended the Senate for allowing the bill to scale through the second reading.

Back