Sports World Cup: I am not losing any sleep over first team selection – Olivier Giroud

T

Titilope Adeuja

Giroud.JPG
Olivier Giroud says he is not losing any sleep thinking if he would be selected for a starting role in France’s FIFA World Cup group opening match against Honduras on Saturday.

The Arsenal striker believes his striking prowess in the Premier League would be of advantage as he has shown in France's friendlies against Norway, Paraguay and Jamaica scoring three goals.

Competitions from Real Madrid’s Karim Benzima and Newcastle United’s Loic Remy will provide a selection headache for coach Didier Deschamps.

Giroud said, "Yes it would be kind of a disappointment (not to start against Honduras) because I think I did well during the preparation games. But there is a coach and we have to respect his choices.

"Anyway, it's not going to be my main concern and it won't trouble my sleep. The important thing is to prepare well for this first game and be available for the team and the coach.

"It's true that I like the physical part of the game. I won't shy away from that.

"I was able to confront myself with the tough defence from England and it's an asset for me to have this kind of opponents every weekend, and I hope to use it against Honduras because they will give everything.

"I already played against (Honduras and Hull City defender) Maynor Figueroa. He's not an 'angel' on the pitch, he's quite tough, but it's fine.

"I like it and we all expect a pretty tough game physically, so we'll be ready to answer. I'm not afraid of anyone."

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back