Sports World Cup: Iker Casillas takes blame for Spain's 5-1 thrashing

Casillas.JPG Spain and Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas has taken responsibility for his side's embarrassing loss to the Netherlands in Salvador on Friday evening.

The Orange Boys defeated Spain 5-1, who are defending the title they won in 2010 in Africa, thereafter winning the European title in 2012.

Casillas, who was left in no man's land by a stunning Robin van Persie header in the 44th minute, made his 155th appearance for La Roja in their disastrous start to defending their title and admitted that he wasn’t at the required level.

"I wasn't at the level I needed to be. I have to accept all criticism," Casillas said.

"I didn't do things like I should have, especially to start a World Cup.

"It wasn't one of my best games," added the Real Madrid shot-stopper.

Vincente Del Bosque, however, refused to place the blame on any individual, especially not on the 33-year-old Casillas.

“When a team loses a match it's not just the performance of one single player, its a weakness in the total squad," Del Bosque said.

"We can't blame anyone, least of all Iker Casillas."

The Spain boss also praised Louis Van Gaal’s men for a sterling performance and took no shame in congratulating their 2010 Final rivals.

"It is not a happy moment, but first of all I want to congratulate the Dutch team, who were superior to us.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont criticize iker casillas.. He is a world class player... He'l prove in the next match and will shut ur mouths up u idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will continue to say this, if football is not taken away from those who want to be setting unrealistic records, some players would be paying for it with their hard built career over the years..... The whole of the spanish team was not ready for the game and I must say that the victory does not guarantee Netherlands to go all the way in Brazil

So who are you tipping to claim all the glory?

Will continue to say this, if football is not taken away from those who want to be setting unrealistic records, some players would be paying for it with their hard built career over the years..... The whole of the spanish team was not ready for the game and I must say that the victory does not guarantee Netherlands to go all the way in Brazil

At this point, I truly cannot say who's going to win but I guess this year, some countries will cause an upset, and remember, 20 years ago, Nigeria made a debut at the world cup..... 20 years after, they will break their own past records...... I know they will get to quarter finals hoping to be the first African Country to get to the semis

Ah, a real patriot. Getting to the semis is too much for a team like Nigeria. It'll be a miracle if we get outta the group.

Getting out of the group stage is not a something I fret about so far we get it right from the Iran game.... I know Iran will want to make a statement but we've got to show class.... I'm sure we are making it out of the group, anyway, nothing works outside of the help of God. So, with the help of God, we are making it out

We could beat Iran ( others would too) and lose the remaining games I n the group stages. Did you see the friendlies we played? Though I know friendlies don't determine teams' performance in Brazil but it gives an hint of what to expect.

It'll be a miracle if we get to the 2nd round. A

Back