Sports World Cup: Super Eagles can learn from the Netherlands- Mikel Obi

Mikel 2.JPG
Super Eagles midfielder John Obi Mikel has urged his teammates to take a cue from the Netherlands' demolition of the defending champions, Spain at the World Cup ahead of their Group F opener with Iran on Monday.

This is Nigeria's fifth appearance at a World Cup tournament,with the Super Eagles having qualified five times out of the last six tournaments, though they have had a poor record in the competition of late,and have taken only two points from their last six games in the finals.

However, Mikel believes that the team can draw inspiration from the feat they achieved at the African Cup of Nations held in South Africa last year, adding that the Netherlands' 5-1 thrashing of world and European champions Spain on Friday,is proof of how far belief can help.

"This is my first World Cup," the Chelsea player told Fifa.com.

"I want to make sure we achieve something coming here. We don't just want to come and make up the numbers, we want to do well.

"I have to make sure I lead by example. We are all driving in the same direction. We all know what we want and hopefully we will have a good tournament.

"We know we're the African champions and people expect us to do well, to represent the African continent.

"That's a bit more extra pressure but it's pressure that we love. We love to be African champions.

"We're doing well, we're doing everything we can. We're preparing well. The result in Spain against the Netherlands shows anything is possible so we have to make sure we approach games seriously and play well."

As well as Iran, Nigeria will also face Argentina and Bosnia-Herzegovina as part of their World Cup Group F games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back