World Zimbabwean Mother Set To Marry Own Son

P

ProfRem

A woman, Betty Mbereko from Mwenezi in Masvingo, Zimbabwe is set to marry her son saying no other woman was entitled to do so.

Mbereko, who is now six months pregnant and expecting her son’s child, and her grandchild had been a widow for the past 12 years and has been living with her 23-years-old son Farai Mbereko.

She confirms that she is six month pregnant and that she has decided it is better to “marry” her son because she does not want to marry her late husband’s young brothers, whom she says are coveting her.

Betty stunned a village court last week when she said the affair with her son had begun three years earlier.

zibabweWoman.JPG

She said after spending a lot of money sending Farai to school following the death of her husband, she felt she had a right to his money and no other woman was entitled to it.

“Look, I strove alone to send my son to school and no one helped me. Now you see that my son is working and you accuse me of doing something wrong. Let me enjoy the products of my sweat,” she told the village court council.

Farai Mbereko, the son said he was more than prepared to marry his mother and would pay off the ilobola balance his father had left unpaid to his grandparents.

But in a swift reaction, a local headman Nathan Muputirwa says: “We cannot allow this to happen in our village, mashura chaiwo aya, (this is a bad omen indeed)”.

Source: Zimbabwe Today

Back