All Liberia Students Fail University Admission Test

A

abujagirl

images

According to BBC News Africa, all Liberian students failed University admission test for the upcoming session.

Liberia's education minister says she finds it hard to believe that not a single candidate passed this year's university admission exam.

The students lacked enthusiasm and did not have a basic grasp of English, a university official told the BBC.

President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel peace laureate, recently acknowledged that the education system was still in a "in a mess", and much needed to be done improve it.

However, this is the first time that every single student who wrote the exam for a fee of $25 (£16) has failed, our reporter says.

It means that the overcrowded university will not have any new first-year students when it reopens next month for the academic year.

Education Minister Etmonia David-Tarpeh told the BBC Focus on Africa programme that she intended to meet university officials to discuss the failure rate.

"I know there are a lot of weaknesses in the schools but for a whole group of people to take exams and every single one of them to fail, I have my doubts about that," Ms David-Tarpeh said. "It's like mass murder".

Back