Metro 20-Year-old Ghanaian Student Shot Dead In United States

P

PressRoom

Samuel Kwarteng, a 20-year-old student of Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) was shot to death around midnight on Thursday, while standing on a front porch of an off-campus home.

He lived in Alexandria, and was a senior in the electrical engineering program.

Kwarteng was killed during an altercation on the 1200 block of W. Moore Street.

One person, not affiliated at the school, was immediately arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter. Kwarteng died on the porch where he was shot.

VCU’s president, Michael Rao, assured students in a school-wide email that this was an “isolated incident”. The university is providing counseling to any bereaved.

upload_2017-4-18_13-40-30.png

"It is with great sadness that I inform the university community of the tragic death this morning of a VCU student.

"I am sure you join me in sending our thoughts and prayers to Samuel's family and friends in this time of great loss. "The VCU Counseling Center has been alerted and its services are available to anyone who needs assistance in dealing with this tragic event," Rao said.

The suspect, Emmanuel E. Jordan, 20, of the 1200 block of West Moore Street, was arrested shortly afterward, Richmond Police said. He was charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Back