Sports 2014 Commonwealth Games: Weightlifting coach hoping Nigeria surpasses its past record

PIC. 23. NATIONAL SCHOOL SPORTS FESTIVAL IN PORT HARCOURT (1).jpg Nigeria's weightlifting coach Emmanuel Oshoma is optimistic that the country will surpass its past records at the Commonwealth Games when they land in Glasgow for the 2014 competition.

The 2014 Commonwealth Games commences in July and weightlifting is one of the medal hopeful sports that Nigeria is hoping to amass a lot of laurels from.

Nigeria was able to win four gold medals at the last edition of the Commonwealth Games held in New Delhi in 2010.

19 weightlifters out of the 28 currently in camp will be taken for the Commonwealth Games: 10 male and 9 female athletes.

``With hard work, we hope to perform better and surpass that performance of New Delhi four years ago,’’ the coach told the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN)

`` We are really training hard to ensure that we surpass our performance at the last Commonwealth Games.

``Then, we had only four gold medals, but this year I hope we will double that.‎

‎``The players I invited to camp are capable of achieving that. I invited new weightlifters to join the old ones and they are so determined.

``I believe that with their determination, the goal is achievable,’’

Back