Politics Diezani Alison-Madueke - EFCC Lied, I Never Forfeited $153.3 million

A

abujagirl

Nigeria's former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, has denied forfeiting $153.3 million to the Federal Government as claimed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Diezani Alison-Madueke3.jpg

“I cannot forfeit what was never mine,'' the former Minister said in a statement. “I am deeply disturbed and bewildered by recent media reports claiming that by virtue of an order of the Federal High Court, I have forfeited to the Federal Government, the sum of $153.3 million which I purportedly stole from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

“The principle of fair hearing demands that I should have been notified of formal charges if truly there was a prima facia evidence or indictment against my person linking me with the said issue, so as to ensure I have adequate legal representation. This was never done.”

“I cannot forfeit what was never mine. I have never stolen any money from NNPC or any other entity I do not know the basis on which the EFCC have chosen to say that I am the owner of these funds as no evidence was provided to me before the order was obtained.”

“I am also informed by my lawyers that the legislation under which the EFCC obtained this order is for situations where the funds are believed to be proceeds of crime and the owner is not known. I do not therefore understand how the EFCC can in the same breath say the monies were mine when they would/should not have used the procedure which applies only to funds of unknown ownership.

“If indeed they used this particular legal procedure because they did not know who owned the monies, then how can they now falsely be attributing the ownership to me.”

Back