Business How Zenith Bank Sent Us Sack Alert Last Weekend - Staff

P

ProfRem

A staff of Zenith Bank Plc has decried how the management of the financial institution sent sack messages to their cell phones over the weekend.

The staff, who sent an insider report to Stella Dimokokorkus call on the Nigeria's Minister of Labour and Productivity to come out to their aid as over 2,000 staff over laid off over the weekend.

The email reads:

''Hi Stella,

This past weekend, Zenith bank sacked more than 2,000 staff. There was no warning, no rumors, nothing!

As a matter of fact, two Executive Directors were promoted to Deputy Managing Director by Jim Ovia himself last week and some other top management were also promoted.

Most of the staff believed there was an imminent mass staff promotion looming soonest and went home for the weekend with joy and hope.

So you can imagine the shock when a lot of people were notified on Saturday up till today that their services are no longer required. And more sack to continue even this week.

In this harsh economy and with Christmas a month away, what a cruel inhumane thing to do. Most of these people have worked for more than 10years, staying loyal to the brand. Some have made sacrifices for this bank but were laid off so wickedly.

Where is the Minister of labour in this country? Did they not notify banks to cease laying off their staff? Oh I weep for my country Nigeria! I weep for the sacked staff and their families! I weep, Oh I weep!''

ZBank.JPG

Meanwhile, Zenith’s Q3 2016 Profit Before Tax of N58bn grew 82% y/y while Profit After Tax grew much faster, by 151% y/y to N83bn, thanks to a significant result on the other comprehensive income (OCI) line (boosted by fx translation gains). The main driver behind the strong growth in PBT was non-interest income of N61bn (+125% y/y).

Back