Politics Soyinka: Why I Rejected the Centenary Award

Vunderkind

Social Member
soyinka.jpg

Professor Wole Soyinka, the Nobel laureate, said he rejected Nigeria’s centenary award bestowed on him because of the inclusion on the honours list of the late Nigerian tyrant, General Sani Abacha and other known killers and looters of Nigeria’s treasury.

In a rejection note headlined ”The Canonisation of Terror”, Soyinka observed that the inclusion of Abacha on the list does not only show a failure of a moral rigour but it calls into question ”the entire ethical landscape into which this nation has been forced by insensate leadership”.

Read more on PM news

@leo, I agree. These theatrics are not necessary. This is the reason why Nigeria's unity is coming undone at the seams. Things we should ignore for goodwill are brought to the surface and they become the big picture while we turn deaf ears to the more pressing issues.

He is right. It was a really silly decision to add abacha to the list. If it was deliberate to say he was no worse than any other leader, then it is a master stroke.

Either way, I personally agree with the Prof on this one.

He is right. It was a really silly decision to add abacha to the list. If it was deliberate to say he was no worse than any other leader, then it is a master stroke.

Either way, I personally agree with the Prof on this one.
@curator I believe every President in Nigeria has in one way or the other had both negative and positive impact to the growth of the country.Besides does Soyinka expect FG to honour some and not all. FG was just being diplomatic.

@curator I believe every President in Nigeria has in one way or the other had both negative and positive impact to the growth of the country.Besides does Soyinka expect FG to honour some and not all. FG was just being diplomatic.
Yes but I think it would have been wrong for him to accept based on his on principals on the matter. Achebe et al would have done the same thing. They refused the honour during their lifetime.

I think, to be fair, the FG anticipated Soyinka's rejection. Still, it had to offer the award. Soyinka, in like manner, had to reject the award based on his principles as @curator has so mentioned.

It's a ballet, and the steps are well-orchestrated. The only reason it rubbed me sore is because Jonathan just seems beset at all sides. Loool. It's the sympathy from @leo and me speaking...

Back