Entertainment Actress Sotayo Sobola: Sexual Harassment Forced Me Out of Nollywood

Nollywood actress, Sotayo Sobola, who is presently enjoying a healthy dose of positive reviews for her new movie, 'Corper Jide' has revealed that the pressure of sexual harassment was one of the reasons she once stopped acting and embarked on a long break.

Sharing her experience with sexual harassment in the Nigerian movie industry, she cited a very candid example:

"I’ll give you an example. You’ve been cast for a role, you’ve been given the role and the next thing you hear is: ‘If you know you can’t come and meet me in my hotel room or come and date me then you should bring back my script’. It was part of the reason I stopped acting English movies. I just stopped acting and went to complete my education. I had a diploma in Law from Lagos State University and got my first degree in Public Administration from Olabisi Onabanjo University. Because of sexual harassment I just stopped everything that had to do with entertainment. I was so discouraged.
You’re being cast for a role and because you refused to sleep with a producer or something, next minute you won’t even know, you’ll just hear that they’ve started shooting the job or they ask you to bring back the script for someone else," she said.

Source: Vanguard

#SotayoSobola #Nollywood

Sotayo Sobola.jpg

Back