Sports Akwa United Coach Must Buy New Players Or I Quit- Zakare Baraje

Akwa United head coach, Zakare Baraje, has threatened to quit the club if they refuse to buy quality player ahead of next season's NPFL and continental campaigns.

Akwa defeated Lobi 2-1 last Sunday in the final of the 2015 Federation Cup to lift the title for the first time at the Teslim Balogun, and also qualify for CAF Confederation cup next season, but the coach said that he will have to correct a lot of things before the start of next season.

"There was gross indiscipline in the team, and I can say it loud and clear, but one thing is sure if I'm still there next season, we'll put things right before we kick off next season."

Baraje insists that if adequate preparation is put in place the team will not be put under unnecessary pressure.

"It's a pressure of course but, it cannot be a pressure when I accept going continental myself. The team may go continental and I will not be there, and why won't I be there, only if the state refuse to reinforce the team, I will not be there so that I don't disgrace myself. But if the state has assured us that they will reinforce the team, I will be there to help in reinforcing the team and I can beat my chest I'm going with a good team."

Meanwhile, the Akwa Ibom FA chairman, Hon. Emmanuel Ibah has assured that the team will be reinforced before the league kicks off next season, adding that he was happy to have been a part of history with the club.

The club won their first title when they defeat former champions, Lobi Stars 2-1 in Lagos.

"I feel great, I feel elevated haven't made history because they say we are calling ourselves history makers and I'm proud to be part of the history for Akwa Ibom state."

"Hard work, dedication and discipline"

"The team has been reinforced times without number, but we must continue to reinforce the team to be able to compete with the likes of Enyimba, Warri Wolves and Kano Pillar. These teams are up there 'cos they buy players, Akwa hasn't really been buying players but this time around we will buy players."

"The game was interesting until the last ten minutes when officiating became awful."

"I have come on board for just two months and I have secured the first trophy for the club and continental games at the nest of champions."

"We shouldn't have gotten such a facility without international matches, we are ready for it."

"We were able to subdue this team the same way we escaped relegation last season and that game in Uyo last Sunday game us a psychological boost." he concluded.

Zakare-Baraje-Coach-Dolphin-Shengolpixs-300-2.jpg

Back