Sports EPL: Weekend's Fixtures, Preview And Reactions From The Top Managers

The English Premier League is back this weekend after last week's break in the FA Cup competition.

Chelsea and Manchester City were not in action having been knocked out of the competition, but the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool were all engaged last weekend.

Now all the teams will be back competing at different fronts for their respective goals come the end of the season.

Chelsea are in control of their destiny, with five points ahead of Man City, they can only be the ones to press the self-destruct button.

However, it is not a done deal yet. Over the years teams have proven that they can haul back from a huge deficit to win the league, so Chelsea will be on their guards not to let that slip.

But with Champions League games now in play, you wonder if the teams involved will not be sapped out.

City would be glad though, to have Yaya Toure back in their team and also their new signing Wilfried Bony, who both were away to help their country win the African Nations Cup tournament.

In the absence of Toure, City struggled and only won one Premier League match, with his return they are sure to motor on.

But will they also be affected by Champions League fixtures, especially as they have Barcelona to contend with in the second round?

Meanwhile, so many teams like: Manchester United, Southampton, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs all seem to be vying for the last two places in next season's Champions League competition.

At this stage of the season, any slip up is costly as there are so many others queuing to take advantage.

Below are the comments of the managers with regards to their fixtures this weekend:

*Arsene Wenger (Arsene Wenger )
The Arsenal manager said that some of his players are back fit with Jack Wilshere set to be in the squad that will play against Crystal Palace.

Meanwhile he noted that Aaron Ramsey is still "10 days away" from full fitness.

On the team they are playing and also their former player, Maroune Chamakh, Wenger said: "They have found confidence again and have got positive results with their new management," he said. "Chamakh lost confidence at Arsenal. I'm happy he's got a good career at Crystal Palace now."

Wenger also revealed that the club's legend, Thierry Henry, is learning the ropes of management with their youth team.

"Thierry Henry is making his first steps as a coach," Wenger said. "It's good for our youngsters to be coached by him. He's been here once or twice.

"All our former players are welcome to come back here and get their coaching badges. We're happy to have Thierry."

On the reports linking Spanish midfielder Santi Cazorla with a transfer move to Atletico Madrid: "He extended his contract last year," Wenger said. "I don't think there's anything to worry about, we've not been approached."

*Louis Van Gaal (Manchester United)
Van Gaal revealed that only Michael Carrick is still out with an injury as both Robin Van Persie and Phil Jones have been passed fit for the game against Swansea.

With so much criticisms trailing United's play this season, Van Gaal said that he is not worried.

"When you see the score of the last 19 or 20 matches, we are the best team in the league.

"I am never 100% happy. We can play better than we are now, but the main thing is to win games.

"We've shown our team spirit many times this season. It's good for the fans and for me, as you see a player wants to follow you."

"We have lost a lot of points in spite of being the better team, but you have to score at that moment," says van Gaal.

"I believe that every player knows the philosophy of me and my staff and everyone wants to follow that philosophy. Our team spirit is unbelievable."

United lost their first game of the season at home to Swansea at Old Trafford and Van Gaal admits that:"Swansea are a very good team.

"I like to see them playing. They want to play football. They want to make the game a passing game like we do, so I like that kind of football. I hope it shall be a match like that on Saturday."

On his constant changing of playing formations, Van Gaal said: "When we change the system during the game we always surprise our opponent and that's why it's also a good thing for our team. Of course, it is not always that we improve our game but mostly we have improved and won the match, so that's important."

*Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)
Mourinho started his press conference by condemning in strong terms the racism incident that some of their fans were involved in during the week, after their Champions League game against Paris Saint Germain.

"I felt ashamed when I found out what happened but these supporters do not represent the club," he said.

"The dressing room reacted as I did - with disappointment and they condemn the situation and support the gentleman involved and they feel ashamed but maybe we shouldn't because these people involved do not belong to Chelsea Football Club."

On the FIFA Presidency, Mourinho backed his country man Luis Figo for football's top job.

"I am proud of him - I knew him as a kid and I am proud a good friend like him can reach this level," he said.

"I told him yesterday that he can win or lose the election but one thing he has won already is credibility by a nice campaign polite clean without being offensive and I am proud of him."

*Manuel Pellegrini (Manchester City)
Pellegrini said that he hoped his side can bounce back from their poor form in the league which has seen them trail Chelsea by six points.

"I hope tomorrow(Saturday) we will recover our normal performance at home - we will have to play well with intensity.

"If we win tomorrow(Saturday) we will have the same amount of points we had at the same moment as last season."

On the injury front, Pellegrini noted that James Milner will miss the game against his former team, Newcastle, but that new signing, Bony could be on the bench.

"It's not very, very serious but [Milner] couldn't work all week. All of the other players are fit," he said.

On his new Ivorian striker, he said: "Bony is an important player - he's on the squad list for tomorrow," adds Pellegrini. "We'll see if he starts or if he's on the bench."

On the return of Yaya Toure from the Nations Cup: "It's important to have Yaya back, he's an important player for us. For him and for Bony to come back after winning the Africa Cup of Nations is better," added Pellegrini. "We're sure Yaya will be the same player as he was before he left.

"We didn't win a lot of games without him but there were other problems too. We had players coming back from injuries and when you put both together, maybe that explains it."

*Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool)
The Liverpool manager had to start his press conference responding to questions on the penalty controversy between his two players, Mario Balotelli and Jordan Henderson.

Balotelli took the decisive penalty that helped Liverpool to a 1-0 win in the first leg of their Europa League last 32 against Besiktas.

"Jordan Henderson showed his maturity and what a team player he is as he respected that Mario Balotelli is an outstanding penalty taker and was happy to give it to him to take. Mario had the coolness and calmness to score the penalty.

"You can see the respect and commitment the players have towards each other. I don't like it when you see at my team, or any other team, four or five players around the ball all trying to take it.

"What has not been mentioned is what a great performance it was and one that puts us in a strong position for the second leg."

But Rodgers further added: "There has been a lot more drama made about it from you (the media) than us. It's very clear who the penalty takers are. When Steven plays he is number one. With the players on at the start of the game Jordan was nominated penalty taker."

"But if Jordan, Steven and Mario are on the pitch at the same time then we normally have Steven or Mario take penalties."

EPL Fixtures:
Saturday 21 February 2015
Aston Villa vs Stoke 4:00pm
Chelsea vs Burnley 4:00pm
Crystal Palace vs Arsenal 4:00pm
Hull vs QPR 4:00pm
Sunderland vs West Brom 4:00pm
Swansea vs Man Utd 4:00pm
Man City vs Newcastle 6:30pm

Sunday 22 February 2015
Tottenham vs West Ham 1:00pm
Everton vs Leicester 3:05pm