Politics Jonathan: I’m Not Afraid of Criticisms, Judge Me by My Legacies -This Day Live

• Thread starter Thread starter abujagirl
  • Start date Start date
A

abujagirl

President Goodluck Jonathan said he was not deterred by criticisms but remained focused on the legacies he would leave behind when he vacates office.

He said he remained probably the most criticised Nigerian president but that he would allow posterity to judge him on his achievements when he leaves office. He stated this at Okrika at the burial ceremony of the foster mother where the drums were rolled out as tens of thousands of people paid their last respects to the late Madam Charity Oba, foster mother of the First lady, Dame Patience Jonathan.

He said, “In a moment like this, one thing that consoles me is the hymn we sang, which said, ‘Fading away like the stars of the morning, only to be remembered by what we have done’. So, it is left for all of us who are here on earth to play our roles and we know that surely we will die; I think the key thing is what will we be remembered for.

“Today, as political leaders, politics or holding political offices are almost like death, while you are there, you are on the stage, the day you leave, what will people remember you for? That is the only reason I am not deterred by criticism, no matter whether the comment is coming from the right on from the left. What challenges me every day is that the day I will leave that State House, what will the present and future generation of Nigerians remember me for?”

SOURCE: This Day Live

Read more at http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles...of-criticisms-judge-me-by-my-legacies/163251/

images

Moving words your Excellency, but right now, I think when you leave, the only things I will remember you for are:
1. Giving phones to Farmers (:()
2. Removing the fuel subsidy - then we found out that fuel wasn't even subsidized to start with, but oh look, it was, no it wasn't, and back and forth we went - and telling us other African countries paid higher, so we should, too.
3. Promising us stable power, and lying on international TV that power was now stable in Nigeria.
4. Sacking Ministers helter-skelter, but somehow you manage not to sack the ministers who REALLY need to be sacked.
5. Being indecisive.
6. Having a troublesome wife.
7. I surely will remember your squabble with Amaechi.

You are right, your Excellency. Nigeria will not forget you so soon, and not for the right reasons. I like you though. I am probably one of your greatest supporters. You have one year until the General Elections. You can still work on leaving that legacy you speak so touchingly of.

i think number 2 was a good thing...he exposed a long existing fraud; showed Nigerians that there was never fuel subsidy.
I strongly believe that the power situation in nigeria is about to get better with the privatization of PHCN n all that

Also...if the power situation gets better with privatization, that would be the final stone that sinks the ship, as it would prove that the FG is a drooling mammoth and, as I read here yesterday "the FG has no business doing business."

Lmao. You are trying to make him look good. Was he trying to expose a fraud when he yanked away the "subsidy"?
he yanked away a non existent subsidy...over the years petroleum importers had collected those funds for something that never existed

Also...if the power situation gets better with privatization, that would be the final stone that sinks the ship, as it would prove that the FG is a drooling mammoth and, as I read here yesterday "the FG has no business doing business."
which ship is going to sink?. I don't think the government should run businesses in Nigeria except under PPA, it works better that way

which ship is going to sink?. I don't think the government should run businesses in Nigeria except under PPA, it works better that way
You are arguing my point and you don't even know. And if you say he yanked away a nonexistent subsidy, you have just implied that, like other petroleum importers, he has stolen money too. Not looking very good for him now, is it?

Back