Sports Mourinho praises hard-fighting Chelsea team for beating Everton

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has described his team's 1-0 victory against Everton as a result of hard work and persistence which they employed at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

The returning captain of the side John Terry helped his side claim all three points in the game in the last minutes, after he was away for three-game with a gluteal muscle problem.

"When you score minute 90-something you can speak about being lucky," Mourinho said.

"The reality is that the boys chased that. We were the team that was really trying to win, which is our responsibility.

"We deserved it. I never thought we would score so late. I had hope that we could score a goal before that. Destiny wanted last minute."

He added: "I feel sorry for them (Everton) because maybe a point for them is fair after their good performance.

"If today we had only one point, if the teams that are behind us win we lose that position.

"Every victory keeps us there, every defeat or draw we lose a position.

"We just want to try to keep the position, not to give (it away) for free to the opponent.

"We have to fight, we have to play and it's a good feeling to win in the end.

"The team wanted to win. You score, it's fantastic. Even if you don't score my feeling would be a positive feeling with them. They tried everything."

The Portuguese tactician said that he would not have felt any different if the game had ended in a draw, adding that his players were hungry to win, and that was what happened at the end of the day.

rsz_spx-051957.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back