Politics Presidential Media Chat Happening Now - Join the Discussion

Vunderkind

Social Member
The Presidential Media Chat is ongoing right now, and you can tune in to ChannelsTV to watch it. If you are not close to a TV set but have access to the internet, you can watch it live online via www.channelstv.com/live.

Join the discussion here, as we will be updating you on key comments made by the president. You can use the comment section below to add your contributions.

Starting Discussions
The president pointed out a silver lining in the dark cloud of the 276 abducted Chibok girls, saying "I am happy to inform Nigerians that we do not have reports that Boko Haram are harming the kidnapped girls." He also urged parents to release photos of the kidnapped girls, promising Nigerians again that we would get the girls rescued safely from the clutches of the Boko Haram insurgents.

He however observed that one may not be able to categorically say Boko Haram kidnapped the girls, as he said: “We don’t know who kidnapped the girls, even on social media Boko Haram is yet to claim responsibility. We have sent airforce jets and areal patrols to all the areas we suspect and we can't find the girls. ”

"Even the missing Malaysian Aircraft the world is yet to find it, so we are not alone," President Jonathan said. He also asked the parents of the abducted girls to show more cooperation with the government.

On comparing the Niger Delta Militants with Boko Haram

“Niger Delta militants are not TERRORISTS. They are different from Boko Haram," the president began. "

He also stated that the Boko Haram sect doesn't have a leader, as no one has come forward to claim leadership. The President noted (a bit solemnly) that if he moved to Boko Haram territory, they would kill him.

View the live stream below:

Attachments

• jonathan.jpg
    jonathan.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 515
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some interesting quotes so far from the President:

"Number of bombings in Nigeria have dropped, look at Nassarawa and Kano."

"My face always change anytime I hear about bomb blast"

President Jonathan has asked journalists to check social media for information on Boko Haram. His words: ""I want the media to help me check the social media for information on BH. I don't have enough time for social media"

Speaking on rumors of helicopters dropping resources for Boko Haram, the president debunked them, saying ""Reports of helicopters dropping wagons for BokoHarram is not true, we expect people to send images of the helicopter"

"When I try to remove subsidy you saw what happened in Lagos. People sponsored protests giving out pure water and packaged food even playing music"

He said the private companies (DISCOS) are supposed to supply meters to houses now that they are running the electrical supply, but they borrowed money to procure the DISCOS, and they probably have no money to buy meters, and the FG will help them out...

"2015 declaration should not be a problem to Nigerians. Whether Jonathan declares or not should not be an issue" - GEJ

"Grenades were found in Lagos last year. What has the President done about it? How about Boko Haram infiltrating your cabinet?" Olanrewaju Smart asked from Social media.

The President replied that question thus: "My statements have been twisted. I NEVER said Boko Haram has infiltrated the cabinet."

The president has made a distinction between the words 'cabinet' and 'government', noting that he said BOKO HARAM has infiltrated his government, but not his cabinet.

It should be recalled that the president was quoted as saying on the 9th of January, 2012 on the Punch newspaper: "
“Some of them are in the executive arm of government, some of them are in the parliamentary/legislative arm of government while some of them are even in the judiciary.

“Some are also in the armed forces, the police and other security agencies. Some continue to dip their hands and eat with you and you won’t even know the person who will point a gun at you or plant a bomb behind your house.”"

The story, titled "Boko Haram has infiltrated my govt –Jonathan" is available on the PUNCH

On ASUP strike " It's only in Nigeria that someone goes on strike and wants his full salary" President Jonathan

"When you go on strike for even a day, you should forego that salary for that one day. It is a sacrifice you make to communicate your grievance to the government. It is only in Nigeria you will go on strike and still expect to be paid. It is in the law - you go on strike, you don't get paid. I am saying that without any reservations.'

Back