Sports Super Eagles player Ogenyi Onazi denies any connection with match-fixing

Ogenyi Onazi.jpg
Super Eagles midfielder Ogenyi Onazi has distanced himself from allegations that he is culpable of a match-fixing offence.

A report on The Sunday Sun,linked a Nigerian football agent Henry Okoroji to the player,after it emerged that he was invited to a meeting with an undercover reporter fronting as a fixer,although events suggests that Onazi acted in ignorance.

Onazi through his Twitter page denied any wrongdoing and maintained that he will not do anything to bring the game to disrepute.

"My attention has been drawn to a publication relating to issues about match fixing."

"First, let me state unequivocally that I have no link whatsoever to any individual or group with ties to the corrupt issues of match fixing."

"A certain Mr Okoroji was mentioned in the publication. My previous contact with Mr Okoroji was based on the fact that we are both Nigerians."

"As a matter of fact, I am surprised to learn that Mr Okoroji is a FIFA licensed agent."

"On the day of this meeting, he had earlier told me that his associates had an endorsement proposition for my consideration."

"I duly informed my friend and who manages my affairs."

"When I got to the meeting, I found out it was all about fixing matches. I told them a resounding NO and left."

Photo Credit: FIFA.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back