Metro Temi Otedola - Coping With My Autistic Brother

A

abujagirl

Billionaire Daughter, Temi Otedola in commemoration of World Autism Day wrote about growing up with an Autistic Brother.

Fewa.jpg

Temi via her blog revealed that her only brother Fewa, is autistic. She wrote, ''Today is the 2nd of April, and so some of you may know that also means it is World Autism Awareness Day. Autism Awareness day was launched 9 years ago to raise awareness and conversation about the people living with autism around the globe. with this in mind, I have decided to share my own personal experience with autism.''

''In 2004, my mum called my sisters and me into her bedroom. With the composure only a mother can have, she told us that our baby brother, Fewa, had ‘special needs’. While my sisters asked questions, all I could do was think about what this would mean for me, the already overindulged, youngest of three girls. Thankfully, my selfishness quickly wore off and Fewa quickly became the centre of our family. The role of an older sister always entails some sort of responsibility. However, the role of an older sister to an autistic sibling is a great deal more work. At first, it seemed like every day with him was a challenge, especially for my mother. I remember seeing my mum helping Fewa with simple tasks like brushing his teeth, helping him to get dressed, or feeding him lunch, with each day ultimately ending in exhaustion. Our family has been so blessed to have help from carers, but no one can deny the resilience my mother has had raising Fewa. It is the thing I most respect about her.''

Read full article on her blog

Back