Politics 2 Reasons Why They Are Prosecuting Me – Saraki Cries Out

P

ProfRem

Chairman of the 8th National Assembly, Senator Bukola Saraki in his response to Dele Momodu's pendulum listed two reason why 'powers that be' keep prosecuting him for no just offence at the Code of Coduct Tribunal

Saraki gave these two reasons for his prosecution:

- Firstly, I have also been accused of helping to frustrate some people’s opportunity to emerge as President Muhammadu Buhari’s running mate. But I have no problem with anybody. My concern was that it would not be politically smart of us to run with a Muslim-Muslim ticket.

- Secondly, I don’t know if Nigerians were aware that in the build up to Senate inauguration, the National Working Committee of the APC sent two signals. The first signal specified how leadership positions in the National Assembly have been zoned. While we were trying to give effect to this decision, the second signal came, which contained names of people to which these zoned position had been allocated. What was not acknowledged was that the President of the Senate is not an executive president. He is primarily one of 109 senators. Therefore, I cannot decide by myself who gets what in the Senate. Therefore, when they said I defied party directive in the choice of principal officers, they are invariably ascribing to me the power that I did not have.

Saraki also chided his party for the role it has played so far in his trial. He said: “Let me make this point clearly. I do not expect to be shielded from prosecution because of my contribution to APC, if there was genuine basis for such action to be taken against me. But I have every reason to expect not to be persecuted by the party that I contributed so much to build. The New PDP may not have given APC victory in 2015, but it was an important factor in the dynamics that produced that victory.

REAd:
Saraki Replies Dele Momodu's Powerful Open Letter

Attachments

• sarakicct.jpeg
    sarakicct.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 19
Back