6 Animal Names That Have Been Used To Qualify Prominent Nigerians

P

PressRoom

The situation in Nigeria now is one that could be likened to that of George Orwell's Animal Farm. Animal Farm,written in 1945, is a “fairy story” in the style of Aesop’s fables, that uses animals on an English farm to tell the history of Soviet communism. Certain animals are based directly on Communist Party leaders: the pigs Napoleon and Snowball, for example, are figurations of Joseph Stalin and Leon Trotsky, respectively. Orwell uses the form of the fable for a number of aesthetic and political reasons. Taking it down to Nigeria, the recent trend of things is one that can be compared to the dystopian novel – a situation where we all are the animals in the Animal Farm. We have had times (and we still do) where prominent figures have been called by the names of animals, either out of insult or admiration. Here is a look at some of them.

Chimp Patience.PNG
Obasanjo while donating Chimp 'Patience'. Photo: Vanguard

Obasanjo Named Chimapanzee 'Patience': Former President Olusegun Obasanjo some months ago donated a three year old chimpanzee named 'Patience' to a Non-governmental Organization (NGO), Pandrillus operator of the Drill Ranch Afi Mountain. The Chimpanzee was formerly at the Obasanjo Presidential Library Wildlife Park. As widely circulated in some quarters, many believed that the former President might have named the chimpanzee after Patience Jonathan, wife of former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Wole Soyinka Literally called Goodluck Jonathan's wife 'Hippopotamus': In 2013, Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka in a Press statement on issues between himself, Patience Jonathan and other matters, wrote: 'For the rest, since beneath the surface of most Nigerian conflicts will be found inordinate greed for public resources, it is perhaps pertinent to remind ourselves that oil is not the only marvel to emerge from the Delta swamps. There are also exotic creatures – mermaids, manatees, even mammy watas and hippopotami. However, unlike crude oil, which can be refined, you can extract hippopotamus from the swamps, but you cannot take the swamp out of the hippopotamus.'

President Buhari's wife, Aisha Called Governor Fayose a Mad dog: Wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari on June 21 called the Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose a mad dog. Fayose had alleged that Mrs Buhari was indicted in the Halliburton Scandal. The governor reacted to the the freezing of his account by anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) which he described as unconstitutional as he enjoys immunity as a sitting governor. Mrs Angered by Fayose's claim which presidential spokesman Garba Shehu had dismissed as false , Mrs Buhari took to twitter to express her displeasure saying: Enough is Enough Fayose. A mad dog that isn't chained. I refuse to keep quiet'

Sango Trader named his dog 'Buhari' – Joe Fortemose Chinakwe, an Ogun state trader named his pet dog 'Buhari'. Chinakwe was arrested last Saturday after one neighbours complained that he named his dog after his father, Alhaji Buhari. According to the trader, 'I named my beloved pet dog Buhari, who is my hero. My admiration for Buhari started far back when he was a military head of state...' After being unconditionally released, Chinakwe has been rearrested and would be arraigned today, on Monday at Sango Magistrate Court. According to the Police, the trader's action was highly provocative and capable of causing ethnic and religious crisis.

Woman named dog 'Lai Mohammed': Shortly after the media was awashed with the story of the trader who named his pet dog 'Buhari', Facebook user, Ada Ogbonna shared a photo on her wall where she also named her dog Lai Muhammed, Nigeria's Minister of Information and Culture.

Comedian Ali Baba Named Dogs After Obasanjo, IBB: Ace comedian AliBaba recently disclosed that he has some dogs named after former Nigerian Presidents and world leaders.
The Comedian made the disclosure via Instagram while thanking God that he hasn't been arrested from it.

He wrote, ''My dogs and I back in the day. Must have had like 12 at a particular point in time. Interesting time. That time I mean. I had traveled and returned at night, but was too tired to relate with them. OBJ, the big Alsatian was the head of the pack. Then Obama was the big black and white Great Dane, the Alsatian on the bummer was Thatcher. Thatcher must have given me like 18 puppies... In her good days (X120k per puppy) the ridge back by Thatcher was called Madiba... It arrived from South Africa on the birthday of Mandela... The Second Harlequin Great Dane was named after Queen Amina... But the fiercest of my odds were Chaka, IBB AND Abacha. They took no prisoners.

Should we look forward to another prominent person called by an animal name?
--
PS:
This article solely expresses the mind of the author, with judgement based on what goes on around us.

Name calling is not new. It's however sad that we're about to witness the expedited trial of a Nigerian who named his pet Buhari

Back