Sports Australian Open: Wawrinka beat Djokovic to qualify for semifinal

In a pulsating quarter-final match Stanislas Wawrinka sprung an upset to defeat world number two Novak Djokovic to advance to the semi-final of Australian Open.

It was an enthralling game with both men battling to a five-set thriller that saw Wawrinka emerge victorious 6-2 4-6 2-6 6-3 7-9 .

At the start of the game it looked as though it was going to be routine for Djokovic who has won the last 14 games against Wawrinka after he took the first set 6-2.

However Wawrinka fought back taking the next two sets,but Djokovic took the fourth set and pushed the game to a tie-break before the Swiss took it.

"I was playing really good, I tried to fight," Wawrinka said. "I was not feeling great at the beginning. I'm really, really, really happy."

"I tried to stay aggressive, to not give up," continues Wawrinka. "I was cramping a little bit, for sure it was a tough one and I was nervous. Now I will go in the ice bath for a long, long time.

"I tried to focus on what I did last year. I tried to be aggressive. Novak at his best is better than me, for sure."

Wawrinka will now play against Tomas Berdych in the semifinal for a place in the final.

rsz_asg-013087_1_-_copy.jpg

Back