Politics Dogara Tutors Saraki, Ekweremadu on How To Handle Alleged Forgery Case

kemi

Social Member
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara has advised leadership of the senate on the best way to handle the alleged forgery case.

sar ekwe.PNG

Dogara called for caution, warning that the National Assembly may find it difficult to function properly in the face of continuous external interference.

“Where you do not have an independent National Assembly, you definitely will have some kind of totalitarian tendencies in the government.

“In the past, there had been stability in regards to the work of the judiciary and the executive because usually, during military regimes or intervention, the institution that was suspended was the National Assembly and for obvious reasons.

“But since the matter is in court, it doesn’t mean that when allegations are made, that they are true. A lot of people have been charged to courts before and at the end of the day, insufficient evidence is given. And in a case of forgery, it is a criminal offence and the standard of proof, the burden of proof is beyond reasonable doubt.

Dogara noted that he has made moves to fortify himself with enough knowledge on the case.

“As it is, I haven’t really seen the papers, I haven’t seen the charges, I don’t know whether they are grounded or not but I have asked, as a lawyer too, that I needed to see the nature of the evidence against the presiding officers that are being charged to court in a case of forgery.

“We will allow the judiciary to do its work and I sincerely believe that if they are guilty as they are alleged, that the proof of evidence will disclose any material allegation against them, then we will continue to do the work we do in parliament without fear of any intimidation.”

Back