Politics Governor Oshiomhole Wins Libel Suit, Bags N25 Million

• Thread starter Thread starter abujagirl
  • Start date Start date
A

abujagirl

images

Edo state governor, Adams Oshiomhole, yesterday won a libel suit against Dockland Communications Limited, publishers of News of the People magazine.

A high court in Benin, which heard the case further awarded Oshiomhole N25m in damages, although the governor had earlier asked the court to award him N250 million in damages .

According to OSUN DEFENDERS, Presiding Judge, Justice Efe Ikponmwonba, ruled that Dockland Communications failed to prove the veracity of the libelous publication of the magazine in 2011, which was carried on the front page and at page 19, with the headline, “Oshiomhole’s sex power exposed: Impregnates young girl six months after death of wife”.

The story by News of the People magazine had also alleged that,Oshiomhole bought a jeep for the said girl and that he was interfering in the academic activities of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, on behalf of the girl; that he used sexual performance enhancement drugs and that he had performed traditional marriage rites precedent to a marriage between him and the said girl.

During trial, the Governor had under cross-examination said “I am a public officer, and as you have rightly pointed out as a Governor, what I do or fail to do is important. My character is important and people’s opinion of my personal life is important. My children are still in agony. The magazine published this just a few months after my wife passed away and this publication coincided with my daughter’s wedding. A Governor whom I invited for the wedding asked me if I was the one going to wed or my daughter. Your image as a public officer is very important.

He said: “after this publication, I had very serious family crisis because my children were still in grief over the death of their mother".

Barrister Femi Owootori, Counsel to Governor Oshiomhole, reacting to the judgement urged journalists to cross-check their facts before publication.

#sexpolitics

Back