Politics Insecurity in the North has Political Undertone-Gumbari

• Thread starter Thread starter abujagirl
  • Start date Start date
A

abujagirl

During a recent interview with Daily Trust, Chief Joseph Gumbari, a former member of the House of Representatives, alleged that the current spate of insecurity in northern Nigeria has a political undertone.

Gumbari said that the political class, traditional institution, as well as the elite must be actively involved in efforts to tackle insecurity around the country.

Speaking on whether or not the PDP led government of Nigeria was tackling the insecurity problem properly, Gumbari said, "When things like these killings of human beings happen, we shouldn’t talk politics and seek to score cheap points. Is it only PDP states that are faced with security challenges?

"We should view the problem honestly and offer useful solutions. People talk the way they do because 2015 is close. I will ask all Nigerians to regard security as a collective responsibility.

"We must be security conscious. Sometimes we have this problem because we don’t give information to relevant quarters. Everybody is involved whatever party you belong to.

Answering questions on whether the insecurity in the north was related to 2015 elections, Gumbari said, "I could say yes, and I could say no. Yes, 2015, because some believe if they can’t be in power, other people should not be in power. They therefore cause problems. As a way out of this, we must generate employment. Much of the deliberately generated crises would abate if the youth that are used are gainfully employed".

gumbari.jpg

Back