Sports Marriage will not affect me at the Rio 2016 Olympics - Blessing Okagbare

Blessing Okagbare believes that marriage will not hinder her from doing exploits on the tracks for Nigeria.

The double Commonwealth Champion over the weekend got married in her home state of Delta, to former Nigerian footballer, Igho Jude Otegheri.

However, Okagbare is adamant that the demands of getting married will not in any way affect her at the forthcoming Rio 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.

Speaking to The Guardian, she said:“tying the marital knot would not affect my plans for the Rio 2016 Olympics and other athletics events”.

“Getting married won’t in any way stop me from doing the usual things on the track,” said Okagbare. “I have been looking forward to this moment and by the Grace of God, we will celebrate it with everything.”

“But one thing I want to assure my fans and all Nigerians is that I will continue to work hard to put smiles on their faces as long as my body allows me to run and jump on the track.

“There are lots of work to be done and I have started training well ahead. I will return to the track soon after my wedding and I pray God to continue to guide me and my husband as we commence the journey of our married life,” she added.

Okagbare is unarguably Nigeria's best athlete at the moment, competing with the A-list athletes in Diamond League meets across the world.

rsz_okagbare-2_-_copy.jpg

Back