Politics Melford Okilo's Daughter Says Her Father's Agitation Paved Way for Jonathan's Presidency Today

Vunderkind

Social Member
images

The daughter of the late ex-governor of Rivers state has revealed that her father’s agitation for a South-South president paved the way for President Goodluck’s reign today.

The daughter of Chief Melford Okilo, Dr. Eluana Okilo said this yesterday in Abuja, describing her father as a builder of bridges whose efforts at unifying Nigeria were responsible for GEJ’s emergence as president of the country.

The US-based attorney, in a news report by the Vanguard newspaper, said of her father: “On a very personal note, when my father was sick and ailing, he was reminiscing on Nigeria’s history. With his old sentiments, I believe that the gap for which my father had been yearning has been filled with the Presidency of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan because he was specifically thrilled with joy that the Niger Delta has in fact produced somebody that has now ended up in Aso Rock.

“So, for my father that gap was filled, even though our environmental and economic issues in the Niger Delta have continued to be a source of concern. In keeping with my father’s joy that the gap for which he has been clamoring has been filled with Jonathan’s Presidency, there can be more bridge to be laid.

“If we want to honour the contribution of my father, all Nigerians need unification and support for Jonathan. Although toes may be stepped on, right now is the time to support our South-South President because it is in keeping with bridge building to unite our nation which was his absolute legacy.”

“Once upon a time, the great Melford Okilo was just a man with no name and just a young fisherman. He made some very difficult decisions and choices. He had no father and money but just the name. He made the tough choices, went for unity, representation and transparency. These are the ways through which he became Okilo.”

Okay, we appreciate her father for that. Bless his soul.

For a country with over 4 decades in existence, I believe the time has come for us to Look beyond ethnicity and tribalism. We should go out to vote because of the credibility of the individual, not his ethnicity.

Too often we hear "it's our turn to rule", "...na our person", etc. As a nation, we keep chasing our shadows and never taking any visible quantum leap.

Nigeria is one! (I know that's just wishful thinking but we need to believe it)

Back