Sports Serena Williams crashes out of Australian Open

ASG-013239.jpg

Reigning US and French champion Serena Williams has crashed out of the Australian Open due to a back injury which hindered the five-time champion against a rampant Ana Ivanovic.

Williams won the first set but the Serb came back to win the game 4-6 6-3 6-3 - her first ever victory over Williams in five attempts.

The 32 year old went into the game with a back problem which almost made her pull out from her last game.

"I almost pulled out. I'm such a competitor, I probably should have," said the world number one.

"I don't want to blame anything. I feel like Ana deserves all the credit. I feel she played unbelievable today. I think she went for her shots."

The world number one said that she doesn't have an idea the exact nature of her injury but had been dealing with it for "a few days".

"It's not anything that's life threatening or anything. I feel like it will get better. I just need a couple days off.

"Unfortunately I don't have that in a Grand Slam."

Serena had been tipped by her trainer to win all four Grand Slam titles in 2014,but she has no lost out in the first Slam of the year.

"I have given up on that a long time ago," said the 32-year-old. "I feel like I don't even think about winning four in a row.

"Maybe I can win four in a row, but it seems like in the one year it's kind of difficult for me for whatever reason."

Ivanovic will now face Canada's Eugenie Bouchard in the last eight.

"It's amazing," said the 14th seed. "Honestly, I went on the court and I just wanted to play the best I could. I'm so thrilled."

"I was very consistent," added Ivanovic.
"It's not easy playing such a champion, but she's also just a human and I know she has lots of pressure too.

"I just went out there swinging and I think I did that really well."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back