We have Impacted Positively on all Sectors - NYSC

L

LequteMan

The NYSC Director-General, Brig.-Gen. Johnson Olawumi, on Thursday while speaking with newsmen in Abuja said the scheme had positively impacted on all sectors of the Nigerian economy.

According to him, "the various collaborative efforts of the NYSC with government and non-governmental agencies have continued to make penetrating impact on the overall development of the country.’’

Olawumi noted that the contributions of the scheme to critical sectors such as education, health, infrastructure, skills acquisition and other national assignments were visible.

“In line with this conviction, the management is committed to grooming public relations officers who are attuned to the demands of the present day information age,’’ he said.

The director general urged the public relation officers in the scheme to come up with practicable ideas and solutions that could be deployed to sustain an enduring positive image for the scheme.

``This is the only way to build the NYSC into a result-oriented organisation that will meet the expectations of its stakeholders”, he said.

He warned truant officers of the scheme against lateness to work, saying he would soon visit state and zonal offices without notifying even the state coordinators.

He directed that from now, census for each corps member should be taken every Friday to ascertain their status.

The Head, Press and Public Unit, NYSC, Mrs Abosede Aderigbigbe, said ``the expansion of the scheme both in size and scope has given birth to a lot challenges.

``This is expected when complex organisations evolve over a period of time.

``To surmount these critical challenges, there is the need for training and retraining of manpower saddled with the responsibility of managing the objectives of the scheme.’’

nysc.jpg

It's a start. There is still much to be done. Most of what is considered 'positive impact' is the inexorable grunt work of the corps members.

It's not in my place to say. For me, it was a waste of time. For others, however, it gives them one year of cocoon-like providence where they would have rotted at home after graduation. There lies my problem with the scheme. For a scheme which claims to be preparing corps members for the real world, NYSC appears to be doing nothing that can significantly be called value addition (to the prospective employer) for the corps member.

It's not in my place to say. For me, it was a waste of time. For others, however, it gives them one year of cocoon-like providence where they would have rotted at home after graduation. There lies my problem with the scheme. For a scheme which claims to be preparing corps members for the real world, NYSC appears to be doing nothing that can significantly be called value addition (to the prospective employer) for the corps member.

Not even one??? If majority of Nigerians feel this way, then NYSC should be scrapped.

Again, it's relative, but NYSC spends so much time teaching corps members skills such as cake baking, soap making, hair cutting, photography and the likes.

It almost sounds like they are preparing you to be unemployed (or self-employed, as they call it.) It's not a bad idea, but I'd like to see them work to guarantee that a substantial number of corps members ACTUALLY get jobs after their service year is over.

Back