Sports Fabio Capello did not trust me as Captain - Gerrard

• Thread starter Titilope Adeuja
  • Start date
T

Titilope Adeuja

Capello.jpg England captain and midfield mastero, Steven Gerrard has revealed the disbelief former manager Fabio Capello had,to allow him skipper the national team.

Capello led the Three Lions to a disgraceful round of 16 exit at the 2010 World Cup tournament in South Africa,and had to leave his post after a row following his backing on John Terry who was removed as skipper of the England national team.

Gerrard said that Capello, who now manages the Russian national team, believed in him more as a player than as the captain.

"Capello didn't believe in me as his number one captain, but Roy does.

"I don't know what it was. I think he believed in me as a player and rated me as a player.

"It was totally up to him but for me, now, I know I'm Roy's number one captain and that's a big confidence boost for me."

Capello had preferred Rio Ferdinard, John Terry ahead of the Liverpool skipper, but Gerrard said the relationship between them is a no love-lost.

"Our relationship was totally fine and I enjoyed working under him but, at the time, we had Rio Ferdinand here and maybe John Terry as well.

"Maybe he thought they were going to offer something different from me or they were his preferred choices."

Gerrard will be leading his teammates to the World Cup in Brazil and wants the the continuous support of experienced teammates to achieve success, heaping praises for manager Roy Hodgson.

"Roy has the confidence in me to be the captain this time. I'd still behave in exactly the same way four years ago if John Terry had the armband on next to me.

"Just because I'm the captain we still have Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney, Phil Jagielka in there and I want them to be leaders with me.

"But I will enjoy it more as captain rather than vice-captain this time round, of course."

Last edited:
Back