Politics Fireworks as Gov Masari Blasts Niger Delta Leaders for Mismanaging oil Money

L

LequteMan

Katsina State's Governor Aminu Masari, has flayed Niger Delta leaders over alleged mismanagement of oil money allocated to the region over the years.

“For six years, we had a Niger Delta president. Let us see what difference he made in six years when he was President. When the excess crude account became pocket money, how much of the money went to the Niger Delta?” he said in an interview with The Interview.

The amount was over $40bn in the last decade, Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Ibe Kachikwu, said recently.

Masari then challenged the leaders of the region to come clean on how resources channelled to the region had been spent over the years.

Reacting angrily, Niger Delta leaders said Masari is full of mischief.

“That statement is a careless statement. The principal question is what have the leaders from the north who have ruled Nigeria for the majority of years done to eradicate the endemic poverty that is in the region? Bad governance is not localised in the Niger Delta, it is a Nigerian problem," Eric Omare of the Ijaw Youth Council said.

Former national chairman of the Association of Traditional Rulers of Oil Producing Communities of Nigeria and paramount ruler of Seimbiri Kingdom, Delta State, HRM Charles Ayemi-Botu, aka Lion of the Niger, was more outraged.

“No right-thinking person will say that money which came to Niger Delta ended up in the pockets of Niger Delta leaders. Which leaders is he talking about and how did the money end up in their pockets?" he queried.

“You do not sit down in Katsina and make unguarded statements, that is why I said that no right thinking man makes such statement. I think he should be examined properly.

However, Comrade Ambakaderimo, convener of the South-South Reawakening Group said Masari is speaking the truth.

“Yes, I agree with the governor because the money coming to the region is not commensurate with what is on ground. So, we need to call our leaders to account before we begin to carry arms to fight." he said.

Vanguard

Attachments

• Governor-Aminu-Bello-Masari.jpg
    Governor-Aminu-Bello-Masari.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 7
Back