Politics National Conference: Delegates Harp on Legal Backing

• Thread starter Thread starter abujagirl
  • Start date Start date
A

abujagirl

Delegates at the ongoing National Conference on Tuesday called for a legal framework that would ensure the proper implementation of the outcome of the conference.

Many of the delegates who spoke while discussing the inaugural speech of President Goodluck Jonathan feared that the conference might end like previous ones if there is no enabling legal framework to back it up.

Mrs Josephine Anenih,a delegate said there was the need for the conference to have an identity that would ensure that its outcome was adequately implemented.

"I think it is critical that we deliberately define what this conference stands to achieve.One way to achieve this is to find a way to involve the National Assembly in this conversation. As currently constituted, I believe we are a dialogue or a "talk shop". There is nothing wrong with this because it is good to talk and there is enormous value in talking.

"However, we can achieve much more if our reports are considered by not just the executive but also by the legislature,” she said.

Anenih stressed the need to engage the National Assembly in order to create a platform for the rebirth of a new nation.

Senator Iyabo Anisulowo, representing Senators Forum, appealed to the National Assembly to cooperate with delegates to ensure that the conference had a legal backing.

"I appeal that the National Assembly should cooperate with this conference so that all we do here will have a legal backing,” she said.

Anisulowo further said there was need to find ways to rebuild the foundation of the county to ensure its progress.

She urged delegates to take advantage of the opportunity to do away with things that would divide the country and work on things that would further unite the people.

"We need to review our foundation, demolish those structures that divide us and deliberate on the things we need for the progress of this country. If we build on a sound foundation, those coming after us will keep refurbishing and re-building the country,” she said.

national confab.jpg

Back