Sports Sharapova exits Australian Open in the fourth round

Sharapova.jpg
World number three Maria Sharapova has crashed out of the Australian Open following the world number one Serena Williams' exit at the tournament on Sunday.

The Russian who was defeated by Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova in the fourth round of the tournament,won the title in 2008,but lost in three sets 3-6 6-4 6-1 in an erratic display on Rod Laver Arena.

World number one Serena Williams was beaten by Ana Ivanovic 24 hours earlier, leaving two-time winner Victoria Azarenka - the second seed - as the player with the most major titles in the draw.

Sharapova who called for a medical timeout before the final set finished with a total of 45 unforced errors as Cibulkova closed it out in two hours and 12 minutes.

"I have a bit of a strain, the trainer told me, in the hip area," said Sharapova, who was playing only her second tournament since missing the second half of 2013 with hip and shoulder injuries.

"Those aches and pains are expected when you spend a long time on the court. You just have to play through it."

The 24-year old Slovakian will play Simona Halep in her first Australian Open quarter-final, the third time she has reached the last eight of a Grand Slam.

"It feels great, and especially because I played well and it was a tough match," said Cibulkova, the 20th seed.

"I went on the court and I was more than 100% sure that I really could beat her, and beat her on the big court, in an important match in a Grand Slam.

"I did it before. She knows me and I knew she knew it was going to be a tough match. I was prepared for it."

Cibulkova added that she had been "a little bit angry" as she felt the Russian's struggles with her ball toss in the closing stages were "on purpose".

Sharapova committed seven double faults which contributed to her exit in the decider and Cibulkova showed no nerves as she matched her French Open victory over the Russian of five years ago.

"It's tough," added Sharapova. "I will be genuine about it - it's never easy. We are very big competitors. I think that's why I have been so successful, because of my competitiveness in the past.

"It's moments like this that ultimately shape you and make you who you are, and that's how you bounce back.

"It's easy just to be successful, but it's how many times you're able to come back from the tough moments and losses and injuries that really define who you are as an athlete.

"And that's why I'm here, because I believe I still can be up there and certainly can play better, that's for sure."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back