Sports US Open Final: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer; Pockets N855 Million

Top seed, Novak Djokovic, has described this year's US Open 1st runner up, Roger Federer as the best tennis player ever after beating the Swiss to win his 10th grand slam title of his stellar career.

CO1cQ3jWEAAFv5h.jpg

The world number one defeated Federer, who's the current world number two on the ATP world ranking in four sets to capture the US Open championship on Sunday night in New York, his third in 2015's calendar year.

Djokovic became just the fifth man in the open era to reach double digits in grand slam singles titles after withstanding a spirited Federer comeback to register a memorable 6-4 5-7 6-4 6-4 triumph.

It was the world No. 1’s third grand slam title of 2015 following his victories at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. It was also Djokovic’s second US Open win following his success in 2011.

“I have to share my admiration for Roger and everything he is doing. He is still improving and he keeps on going. I wish you all the best Roger,” Djokovic said on-court following the win. “I have a tremendous respect for Roger, his incredible record, everything he has achieved. He's the best player in the history of the game, this adds a lot more pressure. I was trying to give my best, knowing he will be very aggressive. He will always take the best out of you. It's a quite incredible evening for me. Next to 2011 this is probably the best season - this one more because now I am a husband and a father. This is an incentive to keep on going.”

Djokovic and Federer had played 41 times before this championship match, most recently at this year’s Wimbledon final, where the Serbian prevailed. They are now equal at 21 wins apiece in their head-to-head record.

Federer was playing some of his best tennis in years coming into the US Open, beating Djokovic in Cincinnati and winning 93 percent of service games this season - a career best so far. He also hadn’t dropped a set before the final.

However Federer just couldn’t find a way past the relentless Djokovic defence in what was his first US Open final since 2009.

“I had a wonderful last two weeks, this whole (North American) trip has been fantastic. I'm pleased with where my game is at and being back in the final is where you want to be,” Federer said. “I thought it was a great match and congratulations Novak on the win. Our rivalry has been a good one, 21 times for me and not so much 21 other times. We walk away from it knowing more about our games and ourselves.”

Djokovic’s triumph means he is now in equal seventh place on the all-time men’s grand slam leaderboard. He pockets a cool $US3.8 million for the win and coming second in the overall US Open series.

Back