Sports World Cup stories: Klose given an opportunity to set goals record;Scolari fumes and more

World Cup logo.png
Ten days to the 2014 World Cup and teams have been pruning down their lists to the mandatory 23 players required for the tournament.

Well,Nigeria(as at the time of filing this report) are yet to release theirs,taking it into late hours of deadline day(maybe call it Nigerian time)

So we take a look at some of the top World Cup stories making the round in last few hours.

Klose
The veteran German striker Miroslav Klose will get the opportunity to equal the World Cup goals record of Brazil's Ronaldo De Lima,after Joachim Low named him in his final 23-man list for the tournament.

Klose on 14 goals,is just one shy of Ronaldo's all-time of 15,and if things goes his way,he could set a new record as the leading scorer in the World Cup history.

Interestingly,the Lazio player is the only striker listed in the team,with the likes Lukas Podolski and Thomas Muller not considered as out on out strikers.

"Of all the players selected I have 100 per cent confidence. We have the right mix of youth and talent and players with lots of experience. Our squad is balanced, with two players in every position. Our players have character, this team has character, and we will go to Brazil with confidence and with big goals" Low said on his selection.

Scolari:
A Brazilian coach knows the heat and pressure he is on to satisfy the millions of fans who expects a lot from their team.

And Luis Felipe Scolari is not different,knowing the demands on them to win the FIFA World Cup on home soil.

It was not surprising to see him fuming after their training exercise as they prepared for the tournament.

"I did not like the training, I did not like anything, all wrong," Scolari told Globo TV.

"When I do not like something I have to find a solution, put it on the field, until I'm satisfied."

Idrissou
Veteran Cameroonian striker Mohammadou Idrissou was the biggest casualty in the Indomitable Lions' squad as he was left out by coach Volker Finke.

The 34-year old Maccadbi Haifi striker was not considered good enough to make the final 23-man list going to Brazil.

Back