7 Controversies That May Throw President Buhari Out of Office in 2019

P

PressRoom

Controversies are not new in Nigeria's political space. As a matter of fact, they are what shape the polity, and put the government of the day on its toes. President Buhari's one year-plus administration is not without controversies, coupled with several hits from the now-opposition party, PDP – that was ousted out of power after 16 years of rule. Though President Buhari has not declared any intention to run for the second term in office, but the controversies that have trailed his administration may send him out of Aso rock after the 4-year single tenure, even if he has plans of a second term. Here is an examination of some of them as compiled by Nigerian Bulletin.

president bubu.PNG
---

1. Denial of Campaign promises: Some months after President Buhari assumed office, in August 2015, he distanced himself from two documents - “One Hundred Things Buhari Will Do in 100 Days” and “My Covenant With Nigerians.”- containing promises on what he would achieve in his first 100 days in office. A statement from his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu titled: “Understanding Buhari in 100 days” said he has no knowledge of the two campaign documents which reportedly emanated from the party’s “many centres of public communication which, for whatever reason, were on the loose.” According to Garba Shehu, “both pamphlets bore the authorised party logo but as the Director of Media and Communications in that campaign, I did not fund or authorise any of those. I can equally bet my last Kobo that Candidate Buhari did not see or authorise those publications.''

2. 5, 000 Promise to the Unemployed & Vulnerable: Well, stylishly President Mohammadu Buhari has made a U-Turn from the campaign promises of 5,000 to unemployed Nigerian youths and vulnerable. Early this year, President Mohammadu Buhari said he would not pay the N5000 stipend he promised to unemployed youth in the country. He made the remarks while on the visit in Middle East. He said it was wise to use a collation of the funds to put up infrastructures and empower them through agriculture for than to give out monies. According to him: “This largesse N5,000 for the unemployed, I have got a slightly different priority. I would rather do the infrastructure, the school and correct them and empower agriculture, mining so that every able bodied person can go and get work instead of giving 5,000, N5,000 to those who don’t work.”

3. Insecurity: Silence On Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: The brutal killings by men suspected to be fulani herders have left so many families in deep sorrow and anguish. President, Mohammadu Buhari is still silent and yet to address the issue of herdsmen attacks – that have claimed thousands of lives. He is seen as being biased and as he continues to talk tough on the secessionists and militants in southern Nigeria, the Fulani herdsmen from his own ethnic division are ‘spared.’

4. Lopsided Appointments/ Incompetence: No doubt that President Buhari's appointments presently favour the Northern region of the country. This has generated heated debates and raised eyebrows on why Mr. President choose to do so. In addition President Buhari seems to have placed trust above competence in his appointments – reason why there are flops in critical ministries. And as well, these appointments will make him a sectional president, and will hurt his support chances from the South.

5. Anti-corruption Fight: President Buhari's anti corruption war has rounded up mostly members of the opposition party. Many believe Buhari is partisan on the anti corruption fight, leaving members of his own cabinet out. More so, some aggrieved parties think President Buhari is hurting their means of enriching their purses and pockets.

6. Style of Leadership: As a fierce military ex-commander, many believe President Buhari's style of leadership is dictatorial. And with some of his actions that have tilted towards that end.

7. Economic Troubles, Inflation and Others: If the economic troubles continue till late 2018 and early 2019, Nigerians and opposition parties will have a very good excuse to throw not only President Buhari out of office but other APC governors, legislators may lose their sat as well.

Presently, Nigeria economy is in recession, inflation hit has geared up and consumer price sky-rocketed while workers groan on late payment of salaries, non-payment of salaries and so on.

Back