Bashi Ali walks out of a meeting with the Sports Minister

C

Chris Maduewesi

The feud between the Sports Minister,Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi,and veteran boxer,Bash Ali has not yet abated,with the latest being that the boxer walked out of a meeting with the minister on Tuesday.
Ali accused the Sports minister of requesting that he parts with money,if he was to get the allocated funds by the Federal Government for his proposed fight.
But the pair met again at the minister’s office on Tuesday,to iron out their differences and also to still talk about the fight,but Ali walked out just a little over fifteen minutes into the meeting.
He later told reporters that he went to apologise,but walked out after he felt the Sports minister was interrogating him .
“Nigeria is bigger than all of us. We have a big fight to do that will bring about employment and provide an avenue for athletes to exhibit their talents. But, unfortunately, the minister refused to co-operate with me,” he said after the meeting.
“We discussed for 15 minutes and I told him if I have done anything in the course of trying to bring the historical event to Nigeria which has offended him, I am very sorry,’’ he added.
“The minister went on and wanted to do more interrogation and I told him this was not the appropriate time for allegations and I walked out,’’ Ali added.
Julius Ogunro,the minister’s special adviser on media,however admitted that Bash Ali came to apologise,but he refused to respond when the minister asked him if he requested for money from him.
“The meeting ended in a deadlock because, after he apologised to the minister that he was sorry, the minister asked him whether he (Abdullahi) asked him for money. But Bash (Ali) could not respond,” Ogunro told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
“And the minister said if he (Ali) was not willing to tell the whole world that he did not ask for bribe he would not have a meeting with him,” he said

Continue reading...

Back