Sports Federer to play Tsonga in the final of Rogers Cup in Toronto

17 Grand Slam champion Roger Federer defeat Spain's Feliciano Lopez 6-3 6-4 to progress to the final of the Rogers Cup on Saturday, putting the Swiss maestro on the brink of a landmark 80th career title.

Federer will face his French counterpart Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who claimed his third straight upset by dispatching seventh-seeded Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov 6-4 6-3, after knocking off world No 1 Novak Djokovic and wimbledon champion Andy Murray in the quarters before Dimitrov in the semifinals.

It will be Federer's 120th career final while Tsonga will be playing for a title for the 20th time, but the powerful Frenchman will need to produce one more upset to deny Federer a winning his third Canadian title.

Federer said Tsonga would be on a high after his series of upsets in Toronto.

"I think it was a matter of time that he got it all together again, especially in terms of confidence," said the second seeded Swiss, who is looking for his third title of the season.

"So for him to beat Murray and Djokovic... it's a really good effort for him and it's going to give him loads of confidence going into the finals.

"He just can overpower guys, serve up a storm and then play really aggressive with his forehand and also be solid in his backhand.

"You think you're in a safe place sometimes in the rally, and he takes one step and, you know, just hits it and the point is over."

Federer, who celebrated his 33rd birthday on Friday, was in imperious form, dropping just four points on his serve in taking the opening set.

"I think I played extremely well in the first set and was able to make Feliciano probably over-serve and over-hit a little bit and make him feel the pressure from the baseline," said Federer.

"Second set probably wasn't as good in quality but I got the break early."Supersport

Back