Sports I Was Envious Of Mourinho's Record At Inter Milan- Roberto Mancini

Roberto Mancini.jpg

Former Manchester City coach, Roberto Mancini has admitted that he was envious of Jose Mourinho record while at Inter Milan, saying it would be a “daft” decision for him to rejoin the Serie A club for a second spell.

Mourinho set a brilliant record while at Inter, winning treble for the San Siro side but Mancini, who also won three consecutive league titles in his first stint at Inter said rejoining the club would be way out of line after he was replaced by Jose Mourinho in the summer of 2008.

“I didn’t expect to be fired,” Mancini told GazzettaTV.

“I read the article in the morning and some doubts emerged in my mind. [Massimo] Moratti called and told me he’d made this decision.

“Did he mention Mourinho? No. I must thank Moratti anyway, because he gave me the opportunity to be the coach of Inter in an important moment of my career.”

When asked about Mourinho, Mancini replied: “I think he’s a good coach. Am I jealous about the treble? That’s a natural emotion, but I believe things happen because they were meant to happen.”

Mancini led Manchester City to their first Premier League title in 44 years in 2012 but was sacked the following season after finishing second.

The 50-year-old then spent a campaign at Galatasaray before agreeing to a surprise return to Inter as Walter Mazzarri’s replacement last November.

“I was waiting for a call from abroad more than a return to Italy,” said Mancini.

“Above all, I never would’ve thought of a return to Inter. People do a lot of daft things in life and I did this, because it seemed unthinkable to go back where you have already won so much.

“It’s true, I thought we’d have a better final result that season, but I still believe this is my only side to have improved so much in five months. It didn’t happen so quickly at Galatasaray, Manchester City or even my first Inter.”

Back