Sports Ladipo to Keshi: Work on Agbim or bench him

President of Nigeria's Football Supporters Club Rafiu Oladipo has called on Super Eagles' coach Stephen Keshi,to work hard on goalkeeper Chigozie Agbim if Nigeria is to advance to the next round of the African Nations Championship(CHAN).

Agbim who was in goal for Nigeria's first two games at the competition,was fingered in some of the goals conceded against Mali and Mozambique.

Oladipo even called on Keshi to bench Agbim for the crunch game against South Africa if the needs arises.

“Our goalkeeper in the first two matches was suspect. He conceded two goals in each of the two matches," Oladipo told the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN)

“Keshi should either work on him to improve on his goal keeping for the third group match against South Africa or use another goalkeeper.

“You know, playing against host country in any continental match is always a difficult task especially when you need the match for consolidation.

“So, our next match against hosts South Africa on Sunday is a must win for us to remain in the competition,’’ he added.

However,Agbim has apologised for the errors he committed in the first two games,adding that he was disappointed with the mistakes he made.

“No goalkeeper in the world will be happy to concede cheap goals and for a keeper of my caliber I am most disappointed than anyone else but that is football and I can’t dwell in the past. I have to forget and plead with fans of the game to understand and forgive so that we can jointly forge ahead. I promise that I will do better next time and it’s a promise I wish to keep,” Agbim said.

In Agbim's defence,Keshi said through a statement released by the team Media Officer Ben Alaiya, “It’s a team work and we cannot single out one individual for blame, otherwise we had a situation in the game against Mozambique when a player had an empty net and yet could not slot the ball in until the opposing defender cleared it.

“I have worked with Agbim now for two years plus and if he was not good he would not be here. We must learn to understand our players and forgive errors, especially as he is the last man in the defence and his own errors are easily seen by all.”

rsz_ladipo.jpg

Back