Sports Pinnick Commends Nigeria's Golden Eaglets After Beating Mexico 4-2 In Chile

Nigeria Football Federation President, Amaju Pinnick has praised the Golden Eaglets for fighting back from a goal down to beat Mexico 4-2, to set up an all African FIFA U17 world cup final.

Pinnickk.jpg

Nigeria, who are the defending champions, will now face Maili at the 2015 edition of the FIFA tournament, which comes to a close on Sunday.

Mexico opened scoring in the 8th minute of the encounter, but the team's captain responded well with a well taken free kick, which motivated his side to a quick come back and eventually led to a successful outing on Friday morning in Concepcion to reach the final of the FIFA U-17 World Cup Chile 2015.

Pinnick joined the Nigerian team at their hotel at the Diego de Almagro Hotels before they set out to the Estadio Municipal Ester Roa.

“I’m very excited, not only with the result, but the way the boys came fighting back after that early goal by Mexico. I keep saying that we have the potential to be world champions in several areas of endeavour.

“These boys have done Nigeria proud. They will go up against Mali on Sunday with great confidence and discipline, and emerge victorious.”

Before the match, Pinnick had again commended the Golden Eaglets for their exemplary conduct at the FIFA U-17 World Cup, as he met Head Coach Emmanuel Amuneke, players and other officials. In attendance also was NFF Deputy General Secretary, Dr. Emmanuel Ikpeme and Assistant Director (Technical) Siji Lagunju.

"Nigerians are happy with all of you because you have represented us well and I'm personally proud of you," said Pinnick. "I don't want you to forget that anything you are doing is for our great country, Nigeria.

"Thirty years ago, we won this trophy when President Muhammadu Buhari was the military Head of State and it would be a great thing if we can do it again when he is now the civilian President."

The NFF President once again heaped encomiums on Coach Amuneke, advising the players to draw inspiration from his leadership quality both on and off the field.

"Your coach has proved that he indeed played for FC Barcelona; that he indeed is a legend of Nigerian football and a worthy African Footballer of the Year for that matter," he said. "We want you to pay attention to his instructions and know that over 170 Million Nigerians are behind and supporting you."

He said the occasion was not for talking and the NFF would soon unfold programme and agenda towards keeping these players for future assignments after Chile 2015.

On Sunday in Vina del Mar, Nigeria will be looking for a record extending fifth FIFA U-17 World Cup title, and Osimhen will be looking to set the tournament’s goals record.

Back