Sports Super Falcons to earn $400,000 if they reach FIFA Women's World Cup final- NFF President

The Nigeria Football Federation President, Amaju Pinnick have promised ti give the Super Falcons a sum of $400,000 (N88million) if they reach the final of this summer’s FIFA Women’s World Cup finals in Canada.

Amaju Pinnick3.jpg

Pinnick told the Edwin Okon-led side at the post-training session at the FIFA Goal Project, National Stadium, Abuja they will pocked a sum of $50,000 if they get to the quarter finals of the tournament.

He further explained that if they will reach the semi finals of the championship that they also will go home with doubled the amount promised int he quarter finals, adding that they will receive a whooping $250,000 if they will get to the finals of the tournament.

The nation's senior national team have only reached the quarter finals of the tournament once in 1999, but the squad led by Florence Omagbemi lost out at that stage, beaten 4-3 after extra time by Brazil.

“I am telling you girls in all sincerity. If you get to the quarter -finals of the World Cup, I am giving you $50,000. A spot in the semi finals will earn you the sum of $100,000 and if you get to the final, I am indebted to you to the sum of $250,000.

“I have absolute faith in you. You have done this nation proud on several occasions, winning seven African Women Championship titles out of nine editions. You are daughters of glory and I see you performing beyond expectation at the World Cup.”

The NFF boss, who spoke while meeting the African champions post-training session at the FIFA Goal Project, National Stadium, Abuja on Wednesday, also went philosophical in motivating the girls further.

“It will not be easy, but nothing good comes easy. Beautiful roses grow on thorny plants. You are going to play the likes of Sweden and the United States of America, powerhouses in women’s football. But it should be in the back of your minds that Nigeria is also a powerhouse in women’s football, a serious one for that matter.

“There will be plenty of odds, but that’s an everyday thing in life. Odds are meant to propel you to go higher, move faster and become stronger.”

The Falcons, who have been training in Abuja since last month, following a 9-1 aggregate thumping of Mali in the only qualifying round for the Women’s Football Tournament of the All-Africa Games, will depart Nigeria on Tuesday for a 16-day training camp in Toronto, ahead of the 7th FIFA Women’s World Cup finals. NFF

Back