Wizkid: 20 Things Every Nigerian Should Know

P

PressRoom

1. Wizkid's real Names are Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun.

2. Wizkid, born on July 16, 1990 into a Lagos-based family of 6, is the last child and only son of his parents.

3. Wizkid holds the record for the highest number of Celebrities feature (Cameo Appearance) on a Music Video in Africa – ‘Tease Me’ & ‘Pakurumo’

4. Ayodeji Balogun changed his name from Lil Prinz to Wizkid in 2006.

5. Wizkid purchased his first car, “Black Honda Accord i-VTEC” in 2011

6. He started off singing at the age of 11 with the name ‘Lil Prinz’.

Wizkid1.jpg

7. At 11 years, he formed a church group named “Glorious Five” that released a 7-Tracker Album, and made N10,000 from the total sales of his first album with “Glorious Five”.

10. His first break-out into the Music Industry was his feature on MI’s Fast Money, Fast Cars in 2009.

11. In 2009, he signed a record deal with Banky W.'s imprint Empire Mates Entertainment.

12. He rose to prominence in 2010 with the release of the song "Holla at Your Boy" from his debut studio album, Superstar (2011). "Tease Me/Bad Guys", "Don't Dull", Gidi Girl, "Love My Baby", "Pakurumo" and "Oluwa Lo Ni" were also released as singles from theSuperstar album.

13. He was ranked 5th on Forbes and Channel O's 2013 list of the Top 10 Richest/Bankable African Artists.

14. Wizkid has a son, Boluwatife Balogun given birth to in 2010. Wizkid’s Baby Mama, Oluwanishola Ogudugu studied at Houdegbe North American University, Cotonou. The genesis of her affair with Wizkid was after he performed at the school, which resulted in a child – Boluwatife. They not together anymore. Wizkid is currently in a relationship with half-caste, Tania Omotayo.

15. Wizkid was a student of Ijebu Ode Grammar School, Ogun state, and dropped out of Lead City University in 2011 into his 3rd Year where he was studying ‘International Relations’.

16. Wizkid’s first International Collaboration was with Akon on Don’t Dull (Remix).

17. In February 2014, Wizkid became the first ever Nigerian musician to have over 1 million followers on Twitter.

18. Wizkid owns and controls Star Boy Entertainment, that has over the years produced artistes with very good vocals and applicable lyrical contents.

19. His work and contribution to the Nigerian Music Industry has earned him several achievements, including a BET Award, a MOBO Award, five The Headies Awards, two Channel O Music Video Awards, four Nigeria Entertainment Awards, two Ghana Music Awards, two Dynamix All Youth Awards, two City People Entertainment Awards, and a Future Award.

20. Wizkid has been nominated three times at the MTV Europe Music Awards as well as four times at the World Music Awards.

WATCH: Wizkid: Top 10 Instagram Moments | Nigeria Music

Back